Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Satan's Whiskers


Satan's Whiskers Cocktail (Curled)

1/2 oz. gin
1/2 oz. dry vermouth
1/2 oz. sweet vermouth
1/2 oz. orange juice
2 teaspoons orange Curacao
1 teaspoon orange bitters

Shake with ice and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with orange twist.


I have to admit the name of this drink played a major part in my choosing it. Who wouldn't be intrigued?

The Satan's Whiskers Cocktail is another selection from Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails, which list two variants: straight and curled. The straight version substitutes Grand Marnier for the Curacao, and I tried 'em both.


Curled:

The bitters really comes through in this one. Of all the ingredients, it seems to be the one that asserts itself right up front but also lingers on the finish. Aside from the bitters, there's a noticeable orange flavor throughout, but it's not dominant.

My overall impression is that this version would work equally well as an after-meal drink (due to the hefty dose of bitters), or as part of a summertime menu paired with something like barbeque or grilled chicken.


Straight:

I definitely preferred this version- It's much smoother and has noticeably less edge to it than the curled version. In many ways it reminded me of a Margarita, but with the characteristic citrus flavor coming from the orange rather than lime.

If you like your drinks citrusy and on the dry side, give this one a shot. Besides, it'll be really fun to tell anyone who asks that you're drinking a "Satan's Whiskers". You have to admit it sounds much cooler than a vodka tonic.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely give this a whirl.

Btw, do you create your own illustrations? They're excellent.

Dr. Bamboo said...

Yes, the illustrations are mine...and thanks for the kind words!

That's the main idea behind the site- to try a recipe and make an illustration to go along with it. I was inspired by all the drinkblogs that have such excellent photos...but since I'm an ilustrator I figured I'd combine two of my favorite activities (making cocktails and drawing).

Kaiser Penguin said...

Awesome illustration, as usual, Craig. I tried this cocktail a while back and wasn't a huge fan - maybe I should give it another go?

-Rick

Dr. Bamboo said...

Thanks Rick!

As for the drink itself, do you remember which version you tried? There really is a significant difference in taste between the two. I wasn't wild about the "curled" version, but I found the "straight" one much more palatable.

I'm wondering if the Grand Marnier softens the bitters in way the Curacao doesn't.

natalie@theliquidmuse.com said...

Wow - that is what I was writing to ask... though the drink sounds fabulous, indeed, I am blown away by your amazing illustrations...

Now, I'm doubly impressed!!!! :-)

Dr. Bamboo said...

Thanks very much! I have a really good time making them. Drinking & drawing seem to go so well together ;-)