Sunday, February 25, 2007

Scoff Law Cocktail


The Scoff Law Cocktail

1 1/2 oz. rye (I used 6-year-old Sazerac)
1 oz. dry vermouth
3/4 oz. fresh lemon juice
3/4 oz. real pomegranate grenadine

Shake in an iced cocktail shaker and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.


What a harsh name for such a smooth drink!

The Scoff Law Cocktail comes from Ted Haigh's fantastic Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails, which notes the drink originated during prohibition and was named in honor of those intrepid souls who refused to recognize the 18th amendment.

Much like the Havana in the previous post, the flavor balance in this drink is amazing. Healthy doses of vermouth and grenadine round the corners off the rye just enough without concealing it's taste, and the lemon juice brightens & lifts everything. There's a sweetness up front that gives way to the rye on the finish, and the citrus undertone pulls the whole package together. This is a spectacularly refreshing drink, and pretty too- it pours a beautiful light ruby red.

I also made one using Vya vermouth, which added a floral aspect that further softened up the overall texture. But if you don't already have a bottle of the Vya handy, don't go out of your way for it just for this drink- Your Martini & Rossi or Noilly Prat will do fine.

One quick note on grenadine: If it's at all possible, use decent grenadine. Whereas many recipes only call for a dash or two, you'll be using almost a full ounce in the Scoff Law, and you will definitely taste it. In fact, if you've been toying with the idea of making your own grenadine, this drink might be the perfect incentive!

Bottoms up!

6 comments:

Kaiser Penguin said...

I have half of a recipe comparison put together for this cocktail, but I haven't been able to bring myself to finish it. I was initially amazed by the disparity and confusion among various recipe sources, but then I started tasting all of them, and I simply just wasn't a fan.

Maybe it's the rye I'm using (Old Overholt) - perhaps I need something smoother.

There's another rye cocktail that Ted Haigh is a huge fan of ... the Blinker I think. I've made it once and sworn off - perhaps I'm just not a rye + tart fan?

Dr. Bamboo said...

Rick- Unfortunately, I know virtually nothing about whiskies (I just happened to like this recipe), so I'm really at a loss to offer any advice as far as styles, recipes. etc.

We need some real rye fans out there to make a few recommendations...hopefuly someone can help us out.

Kaiser Penguin said...

I have little doubt that Paul could offer his advice on this subject, considering he owns ninety bottles of the stuff.

Oh, the jealousy. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these cocktail recipes! I'll try them.

Anonymous said...

Hello Doctor! Rick!

I felt a *slight* need to interject, for obvious reasons.

:-)

On the rye issue, I think that one should use something with enough uumph to offset the grenadine and lemon. If you can get a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 100proof you'll be sitting pretty. Another good option is the Russell's Reserve Rye. Both bottles are very affordable and damn tasty!!!

Anything stronger, i.e. barrell proof, will throw the balance completely out of kilter.

Enjoy guys!!!

Cheers!

Christian said...

This is fantastic!