Monday, August 13, 2007

Mixology Monday: Orange

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Blue Monday Cocktail

1 1/2 oz. Vodka
3/4 oz. Triple Sec
1 Dash Blue Food Coloring


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Baby Bamboo* arrived last Wednesday.

Back in February when I started this blog, I wondered if the Bamboo Babe** being pregnant would affect the frequency and quality of my posts. The answer was yes. In retrospect, starting a booze blog when your wife is expecting is probably not the wisest move considering that most of your free time is spent shopping for baby stuff, going to classes, visiting doctors and renovating half your house. Plus, there's the whole "driving to the hospital at a moment's notice" thing.

It also really affects your ability to participate in MxMo when your baby shows up 5 days before the deadline. When I checked the calendar I realized I probably wasn’t going to be feeling Springtime fresh by the time Monday rolled around.

However, I like to give things the ol’ college try. Mixology Monday beckons, and I must heed it’s call.

But don’t assume the demands of new fatherhood didn’t take their toll. Through blurry, sleep-deprived eyes, I re-checked this month’s theme, and my convoluted thought process went something like this:

“Okay, I need a recipe that doesn’t have too many ingredients…and simple preparation…and I can’t get carried away with the artwork either…Let’s see…MxMo takes place on Monday…and hey, the MxMo icon has blue in it…and oh, here’s a drink called the Blue Monday…and it calls for Triple Sec…which meets the orange criteria…and I think I’ve got some decent vodka lying around…and the recipe comes from this old Mr. Boston book my father gave me…and I‘m a father now…so there‘s like, some sort of cosmic parallel happening here…”

You see, in addition to the specified ingredient (orange) I was working with a secret ingredient (lack of sleep).

Having spent Wednesday morning through Saturday afternoon at the hospital, I realized anything I submitted this month was destined to be quick and dirty. There would be no last-minute runs to the liquor store or elaborate rituals involving garnishes. Cars and cutlery were not my allies at the moment.

So what about the drink? Well, it tastes like vodka and triple sec. More accurately, it tastes like really strong triple sec. As I’m sure you’ve figured out by now, this isn’t a recipe that’s going to bowl you over with depth or complexity. But I’ve certainly had worse drinks, and if you like vodka and/or triple sec, you’ll probably like it.

And did I mention it’s a really pretty blue color…and the MxMo icon has blue in it…and zzzzzzzzzzzz…



*Credit goes to Natalie at The Liquid Muse for coming up with the name “Baby Bamboo.”

** I came up with this one. I like consistency.

15 comments:

Kaiser Penguin said...

! Excellent. I was laughing aloud reading your post. I'm sure that has much to do with your writing and a little to do with the Tropical Itch that is supposed to serve five but is serving one.

I like to try everyone's drinks during MxMo, but I think I might avoid this baby. Vodka a blue curacao ... You need a cleansing.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was awfully quiet here. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Firstly, congratulations!
I'll say that one inexpensive thing about having a kid, (OK, the ONLY inexpensive thing about having a child) is the two day buzz from adrenaline and sleep deprivation that will produce the effect of about $100 worth of cocktail ingredients!
Having said that, do I have your permission to use that old bottle of Blue CuraƧao I have in place of the Triple Sec and Blue Food Coloring? Do you care?

BTW, if you DO care, this must be your first child.... And you won't care for long!

Anita (Married... with dinner) said...

Congrats to the whole bamboo clan!

Love the graphic :)

natalie@theliquidmuse.com said...

Congratulations!!!! And, a hearty welcome to the newest addition to the cocktail blogosphere.

All hail Baby Bamboo!

xo The Liquid Muse

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Bambino Bamboo!

All those little things we always took for granted -- the spur of the moment run to the liquor store, the casual jaunts out for food or coffee -- now become major endeavors, made all the more difficult by the crushing, crushing fatigue. Neither of my kids slept a wink until their second birthday, but the good news is, when the schedule does start getting back to reasonable hours, you appreciate your sleep a lot more.

Cheers to the Bamboo clan!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Craig!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Doc!

As always, a great and entertaining post. Get some rest and I look forward to hearing again from you, as well as seeing a fine cartoon of baby-inspired boozage.

keith waldbauer said...

Welcome to the world, baby bamboo. And Doc, congratulations... I tip a G&T in your direction. Cheers.

nerdling said...

Awww! Welcome baby and congrats Daddy Bamboo!

erik.ellestad said...

Congratulations to the whole Bamboo clan, especially the Bamboo Babe and the Bambini!

I think of the Blue Monday not so much as a drink, but, as a way to lighten liqueurs enough to taste them as single entities. Not as a cocktail, so much as a scientific inquiry.

It'll definitely knock you out, though, so sleep well, my friend!

Dr. Bamboo said...

Thanks everyone...you guys are the best! I knew he was my kid when he came into the world screaming for premium gin and clutching a tiny rocks glass.

But seriously, everyone's doing fine, and he's exactly one week old today. This had to be the fastest, most surreal week I've had in my life.

Oh, and as for the Blue Monday, it *is* admittedly a rather two-dimensional drink. Like I mentioned in the post, I selected it mainly for speed & convenience. But if any of you give it a whirl and end up liking it, let me know!

Doug & Erik- feel free to fiddle with the recipe however you like...it certainly couldn't hurt ;-) (and isn't experimentation what we're all about anyway??)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, and welcome to the Little Bamboobino!

Just sent my oldest off to college yesterday...just hold onto that thought whenever he keeps you up at night...:-)

Shawn said...

Great news! Heartfelt congratulations.

Shawn said...

...and now you will have a good reason to drink for years to come! ;)