Monday, June 18, 2007

Mixology Monday: Cream


Lady Rebel Cocktail


1 oz. rye or Bourbon
1/2 oz. apricot flavored brandy
1/2 oz. white creme de cacao
1 oz. sweet cream (I used heavy cream)
1 tbsp. grenadine

Shake well with cracked ice and strain into 4 oz. cocktail glass.

http://morselsandmusings.blogspot.com/2007/06/mxmo-crme-de-la-crme-round-up.html

The next time I see my father, the drinks are on me.

Thanks to him, I recently came into possession of a pristine 1959 edition of the Old Mr. Boston De Luxe Official Bartender's Guide. It arrived just in time for this month's Mixology Monday, hosted by Anna over at Morsels and Musings. My father, who can often be found scouring local flea markets and antique sales presented me with the slim volume knowing that I would put it to good use. Thanks dad!

The book contains several recipes using cream, but I settled on the Lady Rebel Cocktail partly for it's name, but also for it's ingredients. I really didn't know what I was in for, but I figured it would be either really good, or really awful. Fortunately, it's a keeper.

First off, it's a very pretty drink. It pours a pale pink, with just enough froth to give it a look that somehow straddles festive and classy. But the pink, creamy appearance camouflages a drink with bite. When you bring this innocuous-looking concoction to your lips you'll catch the unmistakeable whiff of whiskey. It may be pink, but it's got a punch.

The taste & texture of the cream will be the first thing you notice, but the warmth of the whiskey and the mellow sting of the brandy will show up quickly. Adding to this will be the fruitiness of the apricot and a touch of chocolate from the creme de cacao that will slip in and blend seamlessly with everything else.

And even though the recipe didn't call for it, I garnished mine with a mint leaf. It just seemed to look better with a splash of green.

One last note: I made one each with Bourbon and rye, and I definitely recommend using Bourbon. The signature spiciness of the rye asserts itself a little too much, thinning out the taste and adding a sharpness that seems out of place in this recipe. Bourbon matches up much better with the other ingredients and creates a more cohesive combination of flavors.

Don't be afraid to think pink. Cheers!

8 comments:

Anna (Morsels and Musings) said...

a feisty woman in pale pink sweetened with apricot brandy.

sounds just like me. i like it!

Unknown said...

Lovely artwork and entry Doc. It's always nice to have supportive family and they keep you in mind when they run across gems like that.

I'll give the drink a shot as I'm still looking for a way to down this bottle of Rye without going solely with the Blinker and the snarky Southern gal manages to convince me.

Anonymous said...

love that illustration!

Dr. Bamboo said...

Thanks everyone! I had a good time with both the recipe and the drawing.

Now I feel the need to find a Northern-themed drink to cover both sides of the Mason-Dixon line.

natalie@theliquidmuse.com said...

I love this, too! To drinking ladies: here, here!!

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

natalie@theliquidmuse.com said...

HI again...
I just saw the awesome logo you created for Martini Groove! Nice job!

I even mentioned it in my Martini Groove post, this morning...

xo The Liquid Muse

Anonymous said...

I would like to invite you to join an online conference of drink bloggers: Drink. Blog. Talk 2007. It will be held between September 22 and 29, 2007 and anybody who blogs about alcoholic drink is invited to take part. I have not been able to find a contact email on your site so, if you are interested, please contact me at japanesewhisky at gmail.com and I will send you out an invite. If you want to find out more about who I am, I blog at Nonjatta.blogspot.com about Japanese whisky. The idea for the conference came out of a discussion between myself, Kevin Erskine (of Scotchblog.com) and Jeffrey Morgenthaler (of JeffreyMorgenthaler.com) on a thread at Kevin's blog. I hope you will be able to take part.